The Fisheries and Fishing Industry has evolved a great deal over the past few decades. New technologies in fish finding systems, tracking weather patterns and the construction of fishing vessels in particular have revolutionized the fishing industry immensely over the past few decades. We recently attended a fisheries seminar concerning advancements made in the construction of fishing vessels, using fibreglass to construct a large portion of the fishing vessel as opposed to wood and steel.
Taking into consideration how dangerous the labour is of manufacturing fibreglass products and fiberglass moulds is, there are a few safety measures that need to be addressed:
- Knowledge – Knowledge plays a huge role in the manufacturing of fibreglass fishing boats. The engineering of fibreglass fishing boats needs to be done by a competent person. A competent person would need to have undergone some training or another to be taught how to manufacture fibreglass moulds. This is not the type of job that you can learn overnight since we are dealing with life changing products. Competency can only be assessed and approved on the successful manufacture of a fibreglass sea vessel that is entirely seaworthy. However it is important also to note that an employee can manufacture a a product or fibreglass fishing boat that has defects. It is advisable to take workers on a refresher training regularly to avoid manufacturing dissatisfaction. Manufacturing fibreglass fishing boats is something that has been well developed and progressed in Australia.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) – The Occupational Health and Safety Act 85 of 1993 is structured for the protection of employees and employers in the workplace. This Act governs safety measures in the workplace and states that PPE should be the last resort of protecting employees. As a result, PPE should always be provided to employees who manufacture fibreglass and fibreglass moulds. It is also the right of an employee to refuse to work in a condition that would threaten the life of an member of staff or others.
- Standards and Procedures – There must be documented standards, procedures or policies stipulating the manufacturing of fibreglass products and fibreglass moulds. This should not be a thumb sucked document but rather a standardized system that is in place to ensure the careful implementation of fibreglass regulatory standards for construction of fishing boats. Standards and Procedures are established in order to perform the required job correctly, adequately and safely. It is important to have a documented protocol of the manufacturing of vessels that will be out at sea for extended periods of time on fishing expeditions. This shows that not only do you care about gaining profits as a company but you also take into consideration the safety and wellbeing of employees and customers.
- Quality Products – Jaguar Products Pty (Ltd) promises to deliver products that are free of defects and irregularities. There are companies that ensure they deliver on quality products. These organizations ensure they comply with certain national or international standards such as ISO which refers to the International Organization for Standardization amongst others. Manufacturing quality does not only give the company a good reputation but it also plays a major role in customer satisfaction. When a client is happy with your service, they will be able to recommend it other people. Again maintaining a good customer service will enhance your profits and that makes all relevant parties happy.
- Logistics– After the completion of manufacturing fibreglass and fibreglass moulds, transportation is the last step of distribution. Choosing the right means of transport is important on the basis of the severity of the glasses that are being transported to and fro. Therefore, it is of highest importance to ensure that the means of transported chosen are safe, reliable and convenient.
Nobody wants to be waiting for a delivery that doesn’t arrive or is frequently delayed due to unreliable transport. This poses a bad image to your clients and that is not a good reputation to have as a business.